Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fatherhood

For many, symbolism and style trump substance, but not with me. Fatherhood is a calling… a calling from the spirit of God and the heart of a child to the soul of a man who cares to do right in this calling before the eyes of God and in the life of that child. As a father you will forever define a portion of your life to yourself and your very existence to this child by how you carry out your obligations. If our children are not worth our best, then what is?

I was always terribly proud of my father. I truly feel he accepted his calling. As I have grown up it has become all the more apparent how unusual the life that he and my mother were able to create for me. It was a life without instability and worry for my family and my place in it. I truly always felt he gave his best to the endeavor of raising me and have seen how greatly he exceeded the efforts of other men. Having seen the impact I have been able to have in the life of my child it is only more quantifiable the massive impact my father had on me.

With thanks always for giving me the tools to be the man I am. I think you should never doubt that you did well. Happy Father's Day.