Friday, May 16, 2008

Book Review #3

Come on People: On the Path from Victims to Victors by Cosby & Poussaint

I so wanted to like this book. If I had stopped in the first few pages I would have. Mr. Cosby and Poussaint do a reasonably admirable job of laying out the background and problems for the black community. Where this book ultimately fails, in my opinion, is its all to predictable fallback into the position of government action. Yes, there are certainly calls for self help, but there are many calls for more of the same programs that have yielded little to no return on the investment in terms of helping the black community they were targeted at. I think if one searched out Mr. Cosby's speeches as of late then you would get the majority of the same information and opinion in probably a more engaging form.

No comments: